Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Full Calendar


Spring has sprung in a very big way! The calendar is getting very busy and I am being a very busy bee in the studio as well. 

Let me begin by officially posting the news that Angelina's Eggs was accepted into the SAQA exhibition 'Balancing Act'. It will be showing for the first time at the International Quilt Festival in Houston, TX this fall and then traveling to both Chicago and Portland. I have also heard that my piece, Mariposa, which is still out on exhibit with 'Butterfly Whirl' will be travelling to Houston this fall as well. I will have two pieces showing in Houston! Boy do I wish I could go. Not in the cards this year.



SAQA MA/RI had it's first quarterly meeting here in Rhode Island at Blaine's Sewing Center in Cranston on March 28. We invited quilting guild members here in the state to come check out one of our meetings and Sue Bleiweiss, Allison Wilbur and myself provided demos of ways to finish an art quilt and on free motion stitching. Thanks have to go out to Blaine's for letting us use their facilities and machines and to Bernina who provided the machines. It was a great meeting and great way to start off the year for SAQA here in MA and RI.

The only time to breathe was Easter weekend because it started to roll again with the start of MQX in Manchester, NH. This was a wonderful large show full of vendors and amazing quilts. I didn't take or teach any classes but they were going on all weekend. Perhaps next year I will apply to teach. I got to see one of my favorite art quilts of late, which I watched being created online last year by very talented, Andrea Brokenshire. Titled "A Passion For Purple", this clematis is the most amazing job of both painting and stitching that I have ever seen. Kudos to Andrea for winning two ribbons and a Janome Memory Craft sewing machine. I was just tickled to see it up close and personal.




I didn't even get to blink before returning the next day to northern MA for the opening of 'Seasonal Palette' which is a SAQA juried invitational exhibition with the theme of the seasons. Sue Bleiweiss, co-rep for MA/RI SAQA filled in for Martha Sielman and led a walkthrough of the exhibition currently on view at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, MA. The show was inspiring and physically gorgeous with all pieces having been constructed the same size. 


Each artist also included a journal of their process which was fascinating. I could have spent hours just perusing the journals. Below are a couple of my favorites, as I am a lover of all things full of color and drama. 



On the left is a detail of Autumn Celebration by Benedicte Caneill from New York and on the righi is a detail of Reflections of Summer by Jenny Hearn from Johannesburg, South Africa. If you are in New England you might want to make a trip to NEQM before July 26 because this is one very amazing show.

Well the calendar continues marching on. This Friday, April 17, I will be up in Worcester, MA at the Sewing and Quilting Expo. I will be helping to man the SAQA booth, #812, all day with other MA/RI members. I will be bringing the SAQA MA/RI Trunk Show with me to display. Come by and say "hello". On April 25, SAQA MA/RI is sponsoring a lecture and photo shoot for registered members with professional photographer, Joe Ofria. Joe has been photographing fine art for over 34 years in the Boston area and will be speaking to our members about how to successfully use a point and shoot digital camera to get quality photos of your work.


Then it's off to Portland, OR for me on April 29 through May 4 for the SAQA yearly Convention. On Friday, May 1 from 7-10pm, I will be providing a demo on the use of fabric markers to enhance art quilts at the SAQA Maker Space at the DoubleTree Hotel by Hilton in Portland. This whole extended weekend promises to be so much fun. I will be posting from Portland, hopefully, with lots of pictures and updates of what is happening.

When I arrive home I will be joining Sue Bleiweiss and Cheryl Rezendes in jurying our SAQA MA/RI exhibition, 'Art As Quilt' which will open in September of this year at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, MA. The call for entry for all MA/RI and CT members is open from May 1 through May 31.


Phew! You may be wondering how anything is happening in the studio. It is happening every day. I feel so blessed not to be working outside the home and to be able to be in my studio every day. I enjoy a day off a week to play with my granddaughter, Riley but every other day I spend a good chunk, if not near all of my day playing with fabrics, markers, pencils and sewing machines. Above is a sample piece, in process, that I have done for my demo in Portland on using fabric markers to accentuate an art quilt. There are three of these sample pieces and their step outs being prepared.

COLOR Stories



COLOR Stories is the name I have given to a sketchbook journal I've just begun. I have a page here where I will be regularly posting progress in journal entries with photos of my process as I go along. I hope to 'sketch' several fabric paintings which will become a fabric journal when finished. Each entry I will be adding to the last post to create one long journal entry. I hope to both learn and teach a little about color, composition, value, balance and other elements of art as I create each piece in my own unique way. I'm sure there will be experiments along the way, which adds to the fun. While I hope to gain a fantastic journal at the end, the journey here will be the focus. To follow along with me simply click COLOR Stories, above, where you find the boxes highlighting my pages.

And when I get home from Portland I will be visiting my Exhibition goals again to crack the whip at completing a few more large pieces, starting with Empress of the Pines.














No comments:

Post a Comment