Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Stitching Wolfie

New lithium batteries made such a difference in the speed of the shutter today. Not quite so much blur. Above is a shot of the wolf's face before I started stitching.
I decided on a palate of golds, rusts, reds and teals for the thread colors. I used a gold to outline the snout/eye socket. Some of the other colors are laying on top of the wolf.
I pulled a real good one with the inner parts of the ears today. Apparently the wool in this area is a wool/silk blend and it did not like the setting of my iron. I burnt the left ear; had to take the piece out (of course, after it had been stitched in by the rust thread) and replace it with another, restitching the rust line and making it fatter to catch the ear fabric. Every quilt just seems to have some kind of issue. It's never totally smooth sailing!
I got a lot done today. There are only a few areas left to stitch. Then I'll be cutting some batting to fit under it and working the edges to hide the 1/4" of muslin. In some areas I will have to cut it, others I can fold it under, iron and satin stitch over it. This will help to give the edge some substance making for a thick satin seam.

I might be able to work a few stitches in the next three days as I am working day shifts and home between 5:30 and 6:30pm. But I don't have another whole day until Sunday. I'm really feeling energetic and full of creative juices with this quilt. Wish I had more time to work on it.

2 comments:

  1. This stitching is wonderful. Sorry about the inner ear. Your choice of colors is great. Looking forward to seeing it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy. Many more woman-hours to go!

    ReplyDelete