Tuesday, February 8, 2011

There is a Wolf

With the sample wolf cut, I felt OK about setting out to cut the full sized wolf. Every quilt I do has it's similarities in how I put it all together, but there are always a few problems to solve in how to get from point A to point B. I want the wolf to have some extra padding, to give him a little 3D, jump right out of the quilt, feel. Stitching each piece to the backing would not allow me to do this. So I decided to stitch the wolf to a piece of muslin first so that I could cut some padding to go under the whole wolf. I will then stitch around the edges to sew the wolf to the backing. Hand or machine quilting will then define areas of the wolf.
I started yesterday before going to work with the navy wool. I drew patterns as I usually do from tissue to cut the three pieces out. Fusing large blocks of fabric with Wonder Under makes cutting easier to control with the paper backing still on. I was pleased with the accuracy of the cut pieces. Yesterday I also got the muslin cut and the pattern pieces all drawn on the tissue.
OK, these aren't the best photos I have ever taken. My little digital camera uses lithium batteries. They don't last long and obviously I need some new ones. All the pieces for the wolf got cut today and I fused them to the muslin. Once the inner stitching is done I will cut the muslin to the outside edges of the wool to prepare to stitch the whole to the backing. After fusing, I couldn't resist the urge to see how it looked on the backing with the tree in place. I pinned it to the quilt on the work wall and took a whole lot of pictures, which came out awful - thanks to my waning batteries. Above and below are the best of those photos.
Generally I am pleased with the progress. Tomorrow, another day off work, I will be experimenting with thread color on my sample. I am thinking that I will be choosing bright colors to liven up the dullness of the wools. I like the lines of the wolf a lot and I have some fun ideas of how to use those lines to create some excitement with wolfie. I'm going to buy some new lithiums tomorrow morning so I will be taking more shots tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment